- Action of Shaddharana Choornam , A modern point of view
- Amritarishta – Uses, Ingredients, Dose and Side Effects
- Abhayarista – Ingredients, Uses, Dose and Side Effects
- Dasamoolarishtam – Ingredients, Uses, Dose And Side Effects
- Action of Avipathi churna a modern point of view
- Pharmaceutical Study of Sri Siddhadaradamruta Rasa
- Types of digestive tracts / nature of bowels or Kostha in Ayurveda
- Types of digestive fires or Agni in Ayurveda
- Tridosha - Vata, Pitta and kapha
- Ayurveda as perceived by a student of life sciences
- Fusion of Ayurveda with Science of Nanomaterials
- Importance of Research in Ayurveda
- If Miracles to Happen
- 'Nano' World and Ayurveda
- Thermal analysis in Ayurvedic drugs
- Understanding Ayurveda : An Experience Based Science in Terms of Evidence Based Science
- Disparity in the growth of herbal medicines in competing with their modern equivalents
- Perspective of Ayurveda
- Integration of AYUSH with Modern System of Medicine
- Mainstreaming of Ayurved in India
- About Ayurveda
- Downloads (Ayurveda E books )
- AYURVEDIC PATENT MEDICINES
- Ayurvedic treatment for Dengue Fever
- CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS AND ITS AYURVEDIC TREATMENT In Ayurveda Cervical spondylosis is discussed
- Ayurveda Treatment For All Common Fever
- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR TONSILLITIS
- ManasaMitra Vatakam and its Treatment Application
Chikungunya and Ayurvedic Treatment
What is Chikungunya fever?
Chikungunya is a form of viral fever spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito, a breed largely active during the day that lasts for 5-7 days. The virus is hardly life threatening, but frequently causes intense joint pain that persists for a long period of time.
Common symptoms of the illness such as fever upto 102.2 °F, petechial rashes, spots on the trunk and limbs and arthritis affecting multiple joints are very common. Other nonspecific symptoms like headache, conjunctivitis, remote photophobia and insomnia etc may occur soon after the incubation period. While most symptoms usually last for 5 – 7 days, the fever rapidly subsides in two days.
Chikungunya history In India
Chikunguniya has emerged as a serious health threat in India. States such as Andhra Pradesh, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala and Delhi were the most affected parts of the country. Karnataka and Maharashtra recorded a staggering 752,245 and 258,998 numbers of cases, making these largest affected states in India. (Who: 2006)
There is no real vaccine for the virus, but the best method to prevent the virus is to avoid mosquito bites. It is absolutely necessary to take preventive measures to avoid or eliminate mosquito breeding friendly spot’s such as rain-filled containers, water storage units, open food containers, saucers under potted plants, drinking bowls for domestic animals and discarded tyres in the vicinity of the workplace and residential areas. (WHO: 2006).
Management of Chikun gunya – In Ayurveda:
Line Of Treatment is Like Amavata (Pachana,Deepana,Rookshana,Mridu ShodhanaBrihmana.)
In the acute phase of illness, the prime intent should be to control fever. Medicines such as Amrithothara kashaya, Shaddharana choorna, Sudarshana vati,Vettumaran gulika,Nimbamrithadi Eranda,Avipatti Choorna and Amritharishta have reflected effectiveness in combatting fever.
In the post fever phase, Chikungunya leads to arthralgia/arthritis that causes swelling & pain that could persist for a period of six months to a year. Therefore it becomes vital to control post-fever arthritis in the very early stage of symptoms. Ayurveda medications & therapies are found to be extremely effective in treating this condition.
Classical medicines such as Rasnaerandadi kashaya, Punarnavadi kashaya, Chandraprabha gulika and Punarnavasava, Kaishora guggulu,Raasnagugul ,Balaguloochyadi Kashaya have been found quite effective in managing post-fever pain & swelling.
Therapies combined with ingestible medication can give faster & effective result in treating the symptoms of Chikungunya.
The following therapies are used to treat the symptoms of Chikungunya.
1. Choorna Sweda
3. Dhanyamla Dhara
4. Dasamoolam KashayaDhara
5. Lepana With Jadamayadi Choorna,Grihadhoomadi Choorna,Ellunishadi Choorna...