- Action of Avipathi churna a modern point of view
- Pharmaceutical Study of Sri Siddhadaradamruta Rasa
- Types of digestive tracts / nature of bowels or Kostha in Ayurveda
- Types of digestive fires or Agni in Ayurveda
- Tridosha - Vata, Pitta and kapha
- Ayurveda as perceived by a student of life sciences
- Fusion of Ayurveda with Science of Nanomaterials
- Importance of Research in Ayurveda
- If Miracles to Happen
- 'Nano' World and Ayurveda
- Thermal analysis in Ayurvedic drugs
- Understanding Ayurveda : An Experience Based Science in Terms of Evidence Based Science
- Disparity in the growth of herbal medicines in competing with their modern equivalents
- Perspective of Ayurveda
- Integration of AYUSH with Modern System of Medicine
- Mainstreaming of Ayurved in India
- Clinical Research in Ayurveda
- Some issues of Research in Ayurveda
- Uses of Mercury
- Harnessing Science and Tradition
- About Ayurveda
- AYURVEDIC PATENT MEDICINES
- Ayurvedic treatment for Dengue Fever
- CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS AND ITS AYURVEDIC TREATMENT In Ayurveda Cervical spondylosis is discussed
- Ayurveda Treatment For All Common Fever
- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR TONSILLITIS
- ManasaMitra Vatakam and its Treatment Application
ASTHMA AND ITS AYURVEDIC TREATMENT
In Ayurveda Asthma has been described as “SWASA ROGA”.
Respiratory distress or breathlessness is known as swasa roga.
CAUSES OF SWASA ROGA
According to Ayurveda causes of Swasa rog are.
1. Vata propak(vitiating) aahar (diet) vihar(activities)
Ruksha(dry),guru(heavy) diet,excessive intake of cold water and cold drinks,intake of meals much more than the digesting capacity, exposure to dust,smoke and cold air ,living in cold areas,excess of sex,having bath with cold water.
2. Kapha prakopak(vitiating) Aahar(diet) Vihar(activities)
Diet including urad (black grams),til,guru(heavy),abhishandi(kapha producing) food,living in cold areas, exposure to cold air,bathing with cold water.
3. Internal reasons
Suppression of urges,weakness,respiratory disease,inflammation of respiratiory system,lung disorders.
4. External reasons
Injury of throat or chest,residing in dust and smoke,excess of sex and journey.
5. Localised reasons
Inflammation of upper part of trachea,inflammation of any organ of chest.
SAMPRAPTI(PATHOLOGY) OF SWASA ROG
According to Ayurveda the vitiated Pranvayu combines with deranged kapha dosha in the lungs causing obstruction in the pranavaha srotasa(respiratory tract).This results in gasping, labored breathing and respiratory distress.This condition is called Swasa roga.
TYPES OF SWASA ROGA
In Ayurveda five types of Swasa Roga have been described:
1. Pain in region of heart
2.Pain in region of flanks
3.Upward movement of prana(respiration)
5.Sweetless taste of mouth
6.Splitting pain in the temples(sides of the forehead)
Helplessness (unable to withstand the trouble)§
Respiration is accompanied with sounds resembling those of high pitch sounds from the nose, resembling that of a bull in heat§
Common sense§ & intelligence are lost
Eyes§ & face are unsteady
Obstruction of urine§ & faeces
Dryness of throat§
Severe pain in ears, temples§ & head
Prolonged upward breathings (expiration) but difficult respiration§
Obstructed movement of vata§
An upward gaze§
Rolling eye balls§
Severe pain as though his vital organs are being cut§
Patient breathes with interruptions§
Cutting pain in the vital organs§
Obstruction in the urinary bladder§
Eyes are unsteady ( full of tears)§
Delusion (or coma)§
One eye is angry - (red in colour)§
Dryness of mouth§
Feeling of helplessness (inability to do anything)§
Loss of chhaya (complexion)§
Loss of conciousness
Pain in head, neck, chest§ & flanks, cough accompanied with cracking sound
Loss of taste, appetite§
Thirst, Forceful bouts of respiration§
Feeling of going into darkness (i.e.losing conciouseness of the surrounding) momentary comfort after expectoration§
Inability to breathe on lying§
Comfortable on sitting§
Eyes wide open§
Perspiration on forehead§
Desire for hot comforts§
§ Maruta (Vata) on being aggravated by exertion & overeating, produces Kshudra Shwasa which subsides by itself (without any medication) i.e. heavy breathing on exertion, passes of soon by rest & is thus not very troublesome.
TREATABLE OR NOT
According to Ayurveda out of five types first three are not curable. ‘Tamak-swasa is yapya’(Controllable) and is difficult to cure. The last one(KSHUDRA SWASA) is curable. More than 75% of the cases of swasa roga belong to last two catagories.
SWASA ROGA IS A SEVERE DISEASE,BECAUSE OF IT POSSIBLY PATIENT DIES AFTER ASPHYXIA,SYNCOPE AND COMA.
TREATMENT OF SWASA ROGA
All types of swasa roga are not described according to doshas infact they have been differentiated according to symptoms.All types of swasa roga are vatakaphaj so all of them are treated in same manner.
1. Find reasons and eliminate them
2. Diet, liquids and medicines should have properties of reducing vataj and kaphaj doshas.
3. If patient is healthy then sodhan chikitsa should be done with vaman, virechan and then sham chikitsa should be done with advised diet and medicines.
4. In weak and lean patients vata nashak Ayurvedic preprations should be given with suitable anupan.
5. In healthy patients sanehan and swedan(oleation and sudation)should be done.
Commonly used drugs
o Shatayadi Choorna
o Haridradi Choorna
o Shrungyadi Choorna
o Talisadi choorna
o Pippaladya Lauha
o Mahaswasari lauha
o Lauha bhasam
• Rasa Kalpa
o Shwas Kuthar
o Shwas Kaasa Chintamani Rasa
o Swarnavasant Malati
o Shankh bhasam
o Tamar bhasam
o Raupya bhasam
o Shring bhasam
o Swaran bhasam
o Moti bhasam
• Aasav and Arisht
o Tejovatyadya Ghrita