- Action of Shaddharana Choornam , A modern point of view
- Amritarishta – Uses, Ingredients, Dose and Side Effects
- Abhayarista – Ingredients, Uses, Dose and Side Effects
- Dasamoolarishtam – Ingredients, Uses, Dose And Side Effects
- Action of Avipathi churna a modern point of view
- Pharmaceutical Study of Sri Siddhadaradamruta Rasa
- Types of digestive tracts / nature of bowels or Kostha in Ayurveda
- Types of digestive fires or Agni in Ayurveda
- Tridosha - Vata, Pitta and kapha
- Ayurveda as perceived by a student of life sciences
- Fusion of Ayurveda with Science of Nanomaterials
- Importance of Research in Ayurveda
- If Miracles to Happen
- 'Nano' World and Ayurveda
- Thermal analysis in Ayurvedic drugs
- Understanding Ayurveda : An Experience Based Science in Terms of Evidence Based Science
- Disparity in the growth of herbal medicines in competing with their modern equivalents
- Perspective of Ayurveda
- Integration of AYUSH with Modern System of Medicine
- Mainstreaming of Ayurved in India
- About Ayurveda
- Downloads (Ayurveda E books )
- AYURVEDIC PATENT MEDICINES
- Ayurvedic treatment for Dengue Fever
- CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS AND ITS AYURVEDIC TREATMENT In Ayurveda Cervical spondylosis is discussed
- Ayurveda Treatment For All Common Fever
- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR TONSILLITIS
- ManasaMitra Vatakam and its Treatment Application
Picrorhiza kurroa Medicinal Uses
In Ayurveda, Picrorhiza kurroa herb is called Kutka. It is an important medicinal herb in Ayurveda medicines. The roots of the plant are used as a medicine. It is rich in various chemical compounds such as picrorhizin, kitkin, D-mannitol, glycosides, cucurbitacin, kutkisterol, steroids and vanillic acid.
Picrorhiza kurroa is a strong anti-inflammatory agent. It reduces platelet aggregation. Its has cathartic, antiperiodic and antibacterial actions. It is also considered to be anti-inflammatory, anti-allergy, bitter tonic, anticholestatic, hepatoprotective and an ntioxidant. Various health benefits of the kutka are described in this article.
Ayurvedic Properties of Picrorhiza
Guna (Properties) – Laghu (Light), Rukhsa (Dry)
Virya (Potency) – Sheet (Cold)
Rasa (Taste) – Madhur (Sweet)
Picrorhiza kurroa Benefits
Picrorhiza kurroa has the following health benefits:
Liver Cirrhosis – Picrorhiza herb is used for treatment of liver cirrhosis. Powdered roots are mixed with equal quantity of honey taken for its cure three times a day.
Ascites – This herb is used for cure of ascites (a health condition in which fluid accumulates in the peritoneal cavity of the abdomen). 50 grams of herb is taken and prepared its decoction in 200 ml water, till its water reduces to 3/4th amount. It is given to the patient for 21 days. It reduces the girth of the belly with 4-5 motions.
Jaundice – It is one of the important herb for jaundice treatment which is given along with turpeth herb. Both the herbs should be taken in 1 tablespoon and taken with hot water two times daily.
Dyspepsia – It is also used for cure of dyspepsia and promotes stomach actions and provides strength.
Constipation – Picrorhiza is used for constipation cure which also helps bowel movements.
The above are some of the health benefits of Picrorhiza kurroa herb.