- Action of Avipathi churna a modern point of view
- Pharmaceutical Study of Sri Siddhadaradamruta Rasa
- Types of digestive tracts / nature of bowels or Kostha in Ayurveda
- Types of digestive fires or Agni in Ayurveda
- Tridosha - Vata, Pitta and kapha
- Ayurveda as perceived by a student of life sciences
- Fusion of Ayurveda with Science of Nanomaterials
- Importance of Research in Ayurveda
- If Miracles to Happen
- 'Nano' World and Ayurveda
- Thermal analysis in Ayurvedic drugs
- Understanding Ayurveda : An Experience Based Science in Terms of Evidence Based Science
- Disparity in the growth of herbal medicines in competing with their modern equivalents
- Perspective of Ayurveda
- Integration of AYUSH with Modern System of Medicine
- Mainstreaming of Ayurved in India
- Clinical Research in Ayurveda
- Some issues of Research in Ayurveda
- Uses of Mercury
- Harnessing Science and Tradition
- About Ayurveda
- AYURVEDIC PATENT MEDICINES
- Ayurvedic treatment for Dengue Fever
- CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS AND ITS AYURVEDIC TREATMENT In Ayurveda Cervical spondylosis is discussed
- Ayurveda Treatment For All Common Fever
- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR TONSILLITIS
- ManasaMitra Vatakam and its Treatment Application
Benefits of Poppy Seeds
Poppy seeds have immense benefits to a man. Poppy is an important herb in Ayurveda to treat various health conditions. It has various properties such as aphrodisiac, analgesic, calmative, bactericidal, demulcent, expectorant, emollient, hypotensive, hemostat, hypnotic, nervine, narcotic, sedative and anodyne. Thus, poppy has various benefits in medicines.
The Sanskrit name for poppy is Khaskhasaphala. It is commonly known by various names such as white poppy, aphium and posta. Its botanical name is Papaver somniferum. Seeds and flowers of the herb are used for medicinal purpose. Various health benefits of poppy are described in this article.
Ayurvedic Properties of Poppy
Poppy has the following Ayurvedic properties:
Rasa – Madhura (Sweet), Kashaya (Astringent)
Vipaka – Madhura (Sweet)
Veerya – Seetaveerya
Poppy Seeds Medicinal Uses
Health Benefits of Poppy Seeds are as follows:
Digestion – Poppy seeds are beneficial for good digestive system.
Heart Attacks – Poppy seeds oil is used for treatment of cardiovascular diseases such as strokes. heart attacks and other heart diseases.
Breast Cancer – Poppy seeds oil is used for treatment of breast cancer as it is rich in oleic acid.
Energy – Poppy seeds have rich carbohydrate content. Thus, poppy seeds enhance the energy levels.
Insomnia – 30 grams of poppy seeds milk is mixed with sugar and taken for relief from insomnia. Insomnia can also be relieved by taking poppy oil every night.
Dysentery – Its seeds are used as a cure for dysentery. Saute ¼ teaspoon of poppy seeds in honey till it becomes golden brown. It should be taken twice a day but not for more than three days as it has sedative effect.
Burning Sensation – Poppy roots paste is rubbed externally on skin to get relief from burning sensation.
Joints Pain – Poppy is beneficial for relief from problems like rheumatism, gout and arthritis.
Dry Itching – Lime juice mixed in poppy seeds paste gives relief from dry itching.
Poppy seeds are also helpful in relief from various types of cancers, abscesses, ulcers, carbuncles, syphilis, scrofula and leprosy.
The above are some of the health benefits of poppy seeds. Poppy seeds also have rich sources of fatty acids, especially omega-3 fatty acids which ensures good health of a person. It has various enzymes like diastase, lipase, emulsin and nuclease. It also has various minerals such as manganese, iodine, zinc, magnesium and copper.