Headache Treatment in Ayurveda
Following are the signs that indicate the presence of this ailment:
• Headache can be mild, moderate or severe pain that affects the whole head, a part of the head, forehead or the eyes.
• Difficulty in sleeping
• Loss of appetite
• Feeling of uneasiness
According to Ayurveda, there are eleven types of headaches caused due to aggravation of three different doshas. Headaches are also caused by:
• Over work
• Mental stress
• It may also be present as a symptom of some disease
• Excessive consumption of tea, coffee, aspirin or nicotine is also known to contribute to headache
• Nervous weakness
• Deficiency of oxygen in the blood
• Sitting too close to the television
• Reading with insufficient light
• Reading in a moving train or car
• Take clove, cinnamon and almond in equal quantities (around 1 teaspoon each) and grind together with a little water to make a paste. Apply paste on the forehead. A paste made of sandalwood powder can also be applied on the forehead.
• Mix a quarter teaspoon of clove powder in one teaspoon of cinnamon oil. Apply mixture to the location of pain.
• Take a few drops of ghee (clarified butter) on your palm. Mix 3 or 4 pieces of saffron in it, and rub it for two minutes. The saffron does not dissolve in the ghee, but its qualities are absorbed. Remove saffron and put two drops of this ghee in each nostril. · Dosage: Follow procedure twice a day.
• Mix 1 tablespoon of milk and half teaspoon of ginger powder and put one or Dosage; two drops in each nostril twice a day.
• Wrap a wet cloth around the neck.
• Oil massage on the scalp also relieves tension and headache. Sesame oil, almond oil, mustard oil or ghee (clarified butter) can be used for massage.
• Heat 1 teaspoon of almond oil. When it cools down, put two drops in each nostril.
Dos and don'ts
• Simple cooked vegetables without oil, vegetable juices and soup, fruits like apple, mango, grapes and fruit juices should be taken in ample quantities. Rice, salad and buttermilk are also good.
• Some sweets and milk products can be taken moderately with small quantities of nuts.
• Hot cow milk is very good to drink.
• Avoid fried foods, meat, sour and spicy foods and foods
• Yogurt should be avoided, especially at night.
• Adequate rest should be taken and exposure to cold, heat and rain should be avoided.
• The natural urges (sneezing, passing stool and urine, hunger, thirst, sleep, breathing and yawning etc.) should not be suppressed.
• The patient should also try to keep the mind free from anxiety, anger, mental tension and worry.
Types of headaches
1. Vata type of Headache - The pain is intermittent, i.e. of a hammering type. There is constipation, insomnia and depression. These pains are compounded by mental tensions.
2. Pitta type of Headache - The pain is usually felt on half of the head. It is accompanied by a burning sensation and wateriness in the eyes. The person is generally scared of light
Useful Herbs in the Treatment of Headache
1. Betel (Piper betle)
The leaves of the betel have analgesic and cooling properties. When a paste of them is applied to the center of the headache, then immediate relief is obtained.
2. Bishop's Weed (Trachyspermum ammi)
Bishop's weed can keep severe headaches away. It is most effective in headaches that occur due to migraine. The fumes of the lighted bishop's weed seeds are used for the treatment. These fumes are smoked or the seeds are sniffed directly.
3. Clove (Syzygium aromaticum)
The aroma of the clove has a headache-allaying effect. It can soothe the nerves and bring it back to a pacified state.
4. Garlic (Allium sativum)
Garlic has almost miraculous properties in relieving headaches, of whatever type they are. Their juice slowly permeates the head region and acts as a painkiller.
5. Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
Ginger has painkilling properties. Due to this property, it is used as an external application on the affected head region. This gives relief from the headache.
6. Henna (Lawsonia inermis)
Henna flowers have the capacity to reduce headaches if they are caused by excessive heat. The henna flowers are applied externally on the head with vinegar to get the desired results.
Dietary Treatments for Headache
Sweet and mild tastes are better in relieving headaches than other tastes. When there is a headache, consuming a sweet preparation or even a spoonful of sugar helps.
Milk and ghee are also beneficial in headaches. Preferably, the milk of a cow should be warmed and had when there is a headache.
Rice is the preferred carbohydrate to be taken in times of headache. The water left after cooking the rice should be had when it is warm, with a dash of ghee added in it.
Spicy and fried foods must be avoided when there is a headache.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Headache
Since there are many different types of headaches, there are different treatments for them in Ayurveda. Ayurveda does not treat all headaches with uniformity. The following are the different treatments prescribed:-
1. If the headache is of vata type, then Triphala choorna is first prescribed to clear the digestive system. Then Shirashooladivajra rasa must be taken, or Mahavata Vidhwansana rasa must be taken twice a day in dosages of 125 milligrams in warm water.
2. If the headache is of pitta type, then amalaki is prescribed, or Triphala which contains amalaki can also be given. Half a gram of Shatavari is to be taken twice a day for a month.
3. If the headache is of kapha type, then anu taila is applied first to clear the nostrils. Then medicines such as Shoola Gajakesari rasa are given in dosages of 125 milligrams thrice or four times a day.
a. A paste of clove and salt crystals is prepared in milk. The main curative ingredient in this is salt, which, being hygroscopic, absorbs the fluids in the head and decreases the tension.
b. Early morning after waking up dab an apple with salt and eat it. After that, drink some warm water or milk. Continuing this for ten days will reduce the problem of continuous headaches.
c. Peel a piece of garlic. Put it in the mouth and chew it slightly. Let its juices spread around the mouth region and upwards into the head. Keep on chewing the garlic mildly and allow the juices to spread. Within some minutes the headache would disappear. This treatment works even for the most persistent of headaches.
d. For headaches that are caused due to common colds, drinking a decoction of coriander and sugar helps tremendously. One more method to clear common cold related headaches is to place both feet in warm water for about half an hour.
e. For headaches that are caused due to excessive gas in the stomach, drinking a glass of warm water with a fresh lemon squeezed in it brings the headache as well as the gas problem down.
f. Grind some cinnamon and make it into a paste with water. Apply this on the head. This reduces headaches.
g. Soak some almonds in water overnight. In the morning, grind them into a paste and warm them slightly in ghee. Mix this in water and drink. This helps in treating headaches that have been going on since a long time.
h. Drinking a glass of water in which jaggery has been mixed helps in reducing headaches.
Here are some positive home remedies for headache
You can eat ripe apple with salt in the early morning with the empty stomach on regular basis for a week, this will help you to stay away from headache. This is one of the common home remedy for chronic headache. For sinus headache, take ginger or ginger powder and add some water, try to inhale this solution. This will helps you to give relief from sinus ache.
Lemon is very effective and also very beneficial to deal with all kinds of infections and health problems. Make a fine paste of lemon and apply on to the head this will help in reducing the ache. You can also add the 10 drops of the eucalyptus oil in the hot water and inhale the stream of this solution; this will also helps to get rid of sinus ache. This is one of the best home remedy to deal with the sinus.
You can also crushed the henna flower into the vinegar and apply this on to the head. This will also cure the headache. Also mix the spinach juice, carrot juice in the equal ratio and drink this juice on regular basis and you can also drink the blend of carrot, beet and cucumber juice. These blends of juices will help you to avoid the migraine attack.
You can also put your legs in the hot water (40 to 45degree temperature) before going to bed. Try this method for two to three weeks on regular basis this will helps you to stay away fro headache. This is also known as the best home remedy for headaches.