- clinical trial to analyze Samyak Snigdha Lakshana of Shodhananga Snehapana with Mahatikthakam Ghritam in Psoriasis
- Action of Shaddharana Choornam , A modern point of view
- Amritarishta – Uses, Ingredients, Dose and Side Effects
- Abhayarista – Ingredients, Uses, Dose and Side Effects
- Dasamoolarishtam – Ingredients, Uses, Dose And Side Effects
- Action of Avipathi churna a modern point of view
- Pharmaceutical Study of Sri Siddhadaradamruta Rasa
- Types of digestive tracts / nature of bowels or Kostha in Ayurveda
- Types of digestive fires or Agni in Ayurveda
- Tridosha - Vata, Pitta and kapha
- Ayurveda as perceived by a student of life sciences
- Fusion of Ayurveda with Science of Nanomaterials
- Importance of Research in Ayurveda
- If Miracles to Happen
- 'Nano' World and Ayurveda
- Thermal analysis in Ayurvedic drugs
- Understanding Ayurveda : An Experience Based Science in Terms of Evidence Based Science
- Disparity in the growth of herbal medicines in competing with their modern equivalents
- Perspective of Ayurveda
- Integration of AYUSH with Modern System of Medicine
- About Ayurveda
- Downloads (Ayurveda E books )
- AYURVEDIC PATENT MEDICINES
- Ayurvedic treatment for Dengue Fever
- CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS AND ITS AYURVEDIC TREATMENT In Ayurveda Cervical spondylosis is discussed
- Ayurveda Treatment For All Common Fever
- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR TONSILLITIS
- ManasaMitra Vatakam and its Treatment Application
Ayurveda and treatment of AIDS
AIDS- MODERN CONCEPT
AIDS is an acronym for the 'Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome'. AIDS is not a single disease but it is a syndrome- a set of diseases, which results from the destruction of the body's defenses by human immune deficiency virus, HIV.
The virus that causes ' Aids' - HIV belongs to a family of viruses known as retroviruses. HIV looks like a rolled up porcupine. It contain two snakes like single strands of RNA along with reverse transcripts firmly wrapped up in a core, giving HIV its characteristic appearance.
On entering the white blood cells known as CD 4 cells, HIV produces its own DNA and sees to it that this gets inserted into the DNA of the host cell. The viral DNA has enough power and information to direct the destiny of the cell. It can force the cell to manufacture several new copies of HIV. However due to certain trigger and regulatory mechanisms, the viral DNA lies dormant in the host cell for several years before it begins to do the damage.
People infected with HIV may take 7 - 10 years to develop AIDS.
AIDS AYURVEDIC PERSPECTIVE
According to Ayurveda the AIDS disease may be correlated with "Kshaya' or "Ojakshaya' meaning loss of energy. The Symptoms and causative factors and treatment for the latter are found mentioned in many ancient Ayurvedic tests like, Charaka Samhitha, Bhavaprakasha,Vaidyachintamani and Chakradatta etc., Shosha is another condition, which results from loss of energy that is similar to AIDS.
The disease is caused by the dominant kapha dosha along with the other doshas tends to block the path for the flow of rasadi dhatus in their respective locations thus resulting in the deterioration of saptha dhatu Rasa(plasma), Rakta (blood cells),Mansa ( muscular tissue), Meda (adipose tissue), Asthi (bony tissue), Majja (bone marrow) and the Shukra (reproductive tissue). thus resulting into the disease.
The major symptoms are:
* loss of appetite, drastic loss of weight-emaciation
* fatigue and lethargy
* susceptibility to allergies and contagious diseases
* skin irritations
* bronchial disorders, often leading to tuberculosis of the lungs
* damage to intestinal flora resulting in diarrhoea, dysentery, gastritis and
* wide fluctuations in body temperature. prolonged fever
* sleeplessness etc.
TREATMENT OF AIDS ACCORDING TO AYURVEDIC SYSTEM:
All seems not lost for the HIV infected persons as the Ayurvedic supplements are proven to be harmless without any side effects and there can only be improvement and not deterioration.
The first step to stem the disease is to ensure a good and healthy atmosphere for the patient. He should be surrounded by well meaning friends and relatives who must affirm that the disease state is totally curable. Nothing negative should be discussed before the patient.
The patient should be given nourishing food which is easily digestible. He should be encouraged to do easy exercise which does not strain his fragile health. He should be kept engaged in fruitful activities which strengthen the good tendencies inherent in him.
Initially, the patient is given tonics and rejuvenators (Rasayanas) to boost immunity levels and to strengthen the system and stimulate appetite.
After gaining some strength, shodhana (elimination) techniques are used to expel toxins from the body through enemas, purgation and emesis. The medications administered at this stage are not hard or drastic, but soft, ghee-based so that the patient withstands them with ease.
Secondly the blood is purified with appropriate medications. Liver corrective measures also play an important role.
A strengthening diet along with medicated ghee preparations and soups is recommended. But spicy, oily and acidic foods are to be avoided. A little alcohol is recommended as anupana (carrier) to aid the digestive process, and also remove blockages in the flow of Rasadi dhatus, i.e. srothorodha.
The various Treatments of Ayurveda
Some popular Ayurvedic treatments for AIDS are given here…
* Toxins and rejuvenators are very useful as they improve the natural immunity of the body. Toxins also improve appetite.
* There are many Ayurvedic solutions that have the ability of purifying blood.
* Liver conditions can be enhanced.
* Food with spice and oil is restricted.
* Ayurvedic diet includes Ghee as it works as a catalyst to remove harmful toxins from the body through enemas, purgation and emesis.
* Ayurveda believes that alcohol can remove blockages and smoothen blood flow. So moderate quantities of alcohol is recommended.
* High temperatures in the blood can destroy the virus. And so, Ayurveda advises the patient to carry out intensive work outs regularly to heat up the body.
Doctors at a recent meeting of international policymakers on HIV in New Delhi titled 'Towards a world without AIDS' observed that the various treatments of Ayurveda strengthened immunity system of the body and fights AIDS.
Some herbs used in Ayurvedic solutions are Amla (Emblica officinalis), Bala (Sida cordifolia), Haritaki (Terminalia chabula), Nirgundi (Vitex nirgundo) and Amrita (Tinospora wedifolia).
AIDS and Chyavanprash
Chyavanprash, an Ayurvedic remedy is extremely effective to fight AIDS. Chyavanprash is made of Amalaki or goose berry and supplies vitamin C to the body. It also supplies anti oxidants like bioflavonoid, vitamin B complex and vitamin A. Amalaki is antifungal and anti bacterial, and can thus help in digestion and also lowers blood pressure and high cholesterol. Chyavanprash also has 35 other herbs. The combined power of all of them makes Chyavanprash extremely potent against AIDS. There are also no side effects of Chyavanprash.
Patient is advised to do regular exercise. If the patient is incapable of exercising or running due to weakness, then steaming (swedanam) is also recommended. reason behind this is 'Heated blood is said to weaken, and even destroy, the virus in some cases'.
Experience has shown that certain herbo-mineral compounds prepared as per the formulae prescribed by sages like Agasthya, Charaka, Sarangadhara and others for the treatment of Kshaya have brought about significant results in improving the condition of AIDS patients. The Rasayana and Vajikara effects of the these medicines are good for the patients.
Some of the propritery ayurvedic medicines achieving good improvement in the quality of life of patients include 'Chyavanprash', 'Raktavardhak' for Immunity building and 'Sookshma triphla tabs' to keep awaythe the infection.
An example of an Ayurvedic remedy which may be of use in the treatment of persons diagnosed with AIDS is 'Chyavanprash'. 'Chyavanprash' is most useful and most popular rejuvenator tonic(Rasayana) of Ayurveda.
This is an Ayurvedic herbal formula which increases ojas, and restores the digestive, eliminative, respiratory and sexual systems. It is frequently employed in wasting conditions where it has been clinically shown to improve health and assist with weight gain. The main ingredient in Chyavanprash is 'Amalaki'- the Indian gooseberry (Emblica officinalis), which has the highest yield of natural source vitamin C, with 3000 mg per fruit. It is also a rich source of naturally occurring anti-oxidants including bioflavonoids, vitamin B-complex and carotenes (vitamin A). Studies suggest that this berry possesses antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. It assists digestion, lowers high blood pressure and lowers blood cholesterol. Clinical research has shown that it accelerates repair of muscle and skin and enhances natural anti-inflammatory substances. Chayvanprash also contains about 35 others herbs which amplify and augment the effects of its main ingredient; such a powerful formulation may indeed be helpful in the treatment of persons who have been diagnosed with AIDS.
Ayurvedic treatment has proved to be quite beneficial without any side effects.Following are the various ayurvedic treatments against AIDS:
* To improve the patient’s immunity strength they are given toxins and rejuvenator. The toxins develop the patient’s immune systems and motivate the appetite.
* Blood is also purified in various ways, with the help of different medicines.
* Corrective measures are adopted towards improving the conditions of liver.
* Ayurveda recommends diet with ghee. It asks you to avoid food with spice and oily.
* Ghee is recommended in the diet of the AIDS patients by ayurveda because it helps to eject or drive out the toxins from the body through enemas, purgation and emesis.
* Moderate intake of alcohol is recommended since alcohol has positive effects in removing blockages and helping smooth flow of blood.
* Ayurvedic treatment asks the AIDS patients to do vigorous exercise. Heavy exercise heats up the blood and this helps in fighting against the viruses, sometimes viruses even get destroyed by the heated blood.
* Preparing herbo-minerals compounds following certain formulae can improve the conditions of AIDS patients.
Some ayurvedic medicines that help against fighting AIDS
The following are some of the ayurvedic medicines that improve and help in making progress for the AIDS patients:
* Sookshma triphala tablets.
Raktavardhak helps in building the immunity of the patient and making it strong and resistant.
The functions of the sookshma triphala tablets are fight against the infections present in the body of the AIDS patient.
The most important, effective and popular ayurvedic remedy for AIDS is chyavanprash.It acts as a toxin and thus makes the patients immune system strong and rejuvenate it.Chyavanprash is made of amalaki or goose berry which supplies a lot of vitamin c to the body. It also supplies anti oxidants like bioflavonoid, vitamin B complex and vitamin A.A special characteristic of this fruit, amalaki is that it is antifungal and anti bacterial, therefore it helps in digestion and also lowers the blood pressure and high cholesterol. The other useful effects of amalaki, present in chyavanprash is that it helps in repairing the muscles and improves the skin also. Apart from amalaki chyavanprash has other essential ingredients like 35 herbs. Therefore all the ingredients of chyavanprash make it a powerful remedy towards fighting a dreadful disease like Aids. It is not very difficult find chyavanprash as it is available in most local medical stores. Therefore if we sum up the qualities of chyavanprash, we see that it helps in the various systems of our body like digestive, respiratory and sexual systems.
BASIC TREATMENT OF AIDS
The first step to stem the disease is to ensure that good and healthy atmosphere should be present around the patient.Patient ahould be assured by relatives that the disease is curable and negative things should not be discussed before the patient. Well nourishing and easily digestable food should be given. Light exercises should be done. Patient physical health and immunity should be boosted with the help of ayurvedic rejuvenators (rasayans) this will strengthen the internal system and stimulate his appetite After gaining some strength, shodhana chikitsa (purification of body) should be done for expelling toxins from the body through panchkarma therapy. The medications administered at this stage are not hard or drastic, but soft, ghee-based so that the patient withstands them with ease Blood is purified with appropriate Ayurvedic medications. A strengthening diet along with medicated ghee preparations and soups is recommended. But spicy, oily and acidic foods are to be avoided. A little alcohol is recommended as anupana (carrier) to aid the digestive process, and also remove blockages in the flow of Rasadi dhatus, i.e. srothorodha Patient is advised to do regular exercise. If the patient is incapable of exercising or running due to weakness, then steaming (swedanam) is also recommended. reason behind this is ‘Heated blood is said to weaken, and even destroy, the virus in some cases’ Experience has shown that certain herbo-mineral compounds prepared as per the formulae prescribed by ancient ayurvedic acharyas like Agasthya, Charaka and others for the treatment of Kshaya have brought about significant results in improving the condition of AIDS patients. The Rasayana and Vajikara effects of the these medicines are good for the patients.
Herbal medicines which are useful in HIV infection
Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Bhumiamalaki (Phyllanthus niruri), Yashtimadhuk (Glycerrhiza glabra), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum), Mandukparni (Centella asiatica), Kutki (Picrorrhiza kurroa), Saariva (Hemidesmus indicus), Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa), Pippali (Piper longum) and Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica). These medicines have anti-viral, immunomodulating and adaptogenic properties. Some of these increase body weight, yet others increase the "agni" of the body and therefore maintain cellular metabolism at an optimum level.