- Action of Avipathi churna a modern point of view
- Pharmaceutical Study of Sri Siddhadaradamruta Rasa
- Types of digestive tracts / nature of bowels or Kostha in Ayurveda
- Types of digestive fires or Agni in Ayurveda
- Tridosha - Vata, Pitta and kapha
- Ayurveda as perceived by a student of life sciences
- Fusion of Ayurveda with Science of Nanomaterials
- Importance of Research in Ayurveda
- If Miracles to Happen
- 'Nano' World and Ayurveda
- Thermal analysis in Ayurvedic drugs
- Understanding Ayurveda : An Experience Based Science in Terms of Evidence Based Science
- Disparity in the growth of herbal medicines in competing with their modern equivalents
- Perspective of Ayurveda
- Integration of AYUSH with Modern System of Medicine
- Mainstreaming of Ayurved in India
- Clinical Research in Ayurveda
- Some issues of Research in Ayurveda
- Uses of Mercury
- Harnessing Science and Tradition
- About Ayurveda
- AYURVEDIC PATENT MEDICINES
- Ayurvedic treatment for Dengue Fever
- CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS AND ITS AYURVEDIC TREATMENT In Ayurveda Cervical spondylosis is discussed
- Ayurveda Treatment For All Common Fever
- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR TONSILLITIS
- ManasaMitra Vatakam and its Treatment Application
OOEDEMA AND ITS AYURVEDIC TREATMENT WITH PUNARNAVA (Boerhaavia diffusa)
Oedema refers to non-inflammatory swelling in the body.
Oedema is characterised by excessive accumulation of water within the body tissues.
The treatment for oedema is to first take out the accumulated water from the affected portions.
CAUSES OF OEDEMA
There are many cause of oedema. The primary ones are anaemia, as well as ailments of the kidney, liver and the heart.
CONSTIPATION: A CAUSE & BARRIER
TO EARLY RESOLUTION OF THE PROBLEM
Constipation is one the main cause of Oedema and also a primary reason as to why a person is suffering from Oedema for a prolonged period. Hence, the patient should be determined to cure constipation by all means.
Natural cure: Such patients should regularly have green papaya. It can be had in various forms as a vegetable.
Such patients can enjoy early resolution of the ailment by regularly having bitter gourd, patola, gourd, green banana and drumstick. Besides, papaya is another important vegetable to be included in the menu of these patients.
WHAT NOT TO EAT
Such people should never have curd, or fried and salty items.
Similarly, avoid fats of all types including those of vegetables and also animal.
Stay away from all preparations made in groundnut oil.
OTHER IMPORTANT POINTS
Don’t sleep during the daytime.
If the patient feels tired during the daytime, one can have a catnap with eyes open.
Avoid sedentary habits.
It is always important for such people to remain active as much as possible.
There are three versions of one Ayurvedic medication to treat oedema. This is Punarnava. The two other versions prepared with Punarnava as the main ingredient are Punarnavadyarishta and Punarnava mandura. Of course, along with Punarnava, one should also regularly have the other Ayurvedic medications and strictly maintain the aforementioned dietary and other important regimens.
PUNARNAVA (Boerhaavia diffusa)
Punarnava is a short ivy leafy species. Punarnava is of two types: white and red. Both have immense therapeutic properties.
It is also used as a vegetable by many in India. The Punarnava plant grows abundantly across India except the high altitudes. Punarnava grows extensively especially after monsoon.
The entire Punarnava plant is useful for treating various ailments including oedema. However, the most effective portions of Punarnava are its roots.
Punarnavadyarishta is an alcoholic Ayurvedic preparation.
Preparation process: Take six teaspoonfuls of Punarnavadyarishta. The medication needs to be diluted with equal quantity of water.
The Dose: The patient should have the diluted form of Punarnavadyarishta twice daily after the main meals.
Note: If oedema has been caused due to the malfunctioning of the patient’s liver, then he/she should be tendered lesser quantity of Punarnavadyarishta. The ideal dose in such a case is tone to two teaspoonfuls of Punarnavadyarishta.
Punarnava mandura comes in the powdery form. It is an iron complement for the patient’s body.
Depending on the acuteness and cause of the disease, varying doses are given to the patient.
Punarnava mandura boosts the urination process and also promotes the functioning of the kidneys.
Note: The stool of the patient takes a blackish hue after the medication is taken. Punarnava mandura indirectly cures constipation. Certain amount of fluid also comes out of the body along with the stool.
The Dose: The patient should have two gram of this medication mixed with honey thrice daily.